At the beginning of every project we determine relevant specifications in close cooperation with the client by setting basic parameters for the development of new concepts. In general, the available space, the material, load cases and the manufacturing process need to be defined in order to start a target-oriented development process. Furthermore, objectives for your product such as weight reduction, performance improvement, functional integration or the minimisation of costs are determined.
- Definition of basic parameters
- Command variables and manufacturing restrictions
In a preliminary investigation of the component FE calculations are performed, considering all relevant load cases. These calculations serve as a reference for newly developed concepts and enable a deeper understanding of the mechanical behavior of the component. Within the framework of the component analysis, first results of topology optimizations can give further indications on sensible load paths, providing guidance in the following screening process.
- Analysis of reference components
- Topology optimization on the design space of reference components reveal optimal load paths
- Interpretation of optimal load paths and transfer into structural and mechanical principles
After the component analysis biological archetypes and principles, that possess suitable lightweight structures, are sought. Here we can resort to a lightweight structure database with more than 120.000 plankton organism and prepared mechanical active principles. By using this immense storage of innovative lightweight structures, you can benefit from principles that have been optimized by nature over millions of years.
- Screening of a database with more than 120.000 biological structures
- Close cooperation with the Friedrich Hustedt Diatom Study Centre
- Pre-optimized mechanical principles and lightweight constructions of nature
The determined active principles and constructions of the screening process are merged into one or several overall concepts. An appropriated analysis of these concepts with predetermined specifications allow a proper dimensioning and assessment of the applied lightweight principles with their impact on your component. Thus, innovative concepts are developed that enable your products to stand out from the competition. These concepts can be visualized in the form of drawings, CAD models or rapid prototyping models. Preliminary FE calculations enable predictions on the performance and offer a comparison to your reference component.
- Innovation lab
- Production-oriented transfer of biological structure concepts to your product
- Manufacturing of 3d-printed demonstrators made from composite materials and ABS (ProJet 460Plus, Ultimaker)